Everybody knows that penguins are extremely cute, but today we’re going to share a few facts you may not know!
- Penguins have no natural predators on land so have fear of humans, they are even known to approach humans such as tourists and film makers when given the opportunity.
- Although all penguin species are native to the Southern Hemisphere, they are not found only in cold climates, such as Antarctica. In fact, only a few species of penguin live so far south. Several species are found in temperate climates, and the Galápagos penguin even lives near the equator.
- Larger penguin species are found in colder climates where their large body mass enables them to cope with the conditions, while smaller penguins inhabit warmer climes.
- Penguins are quite happy to drink salt water. Penguins have a gland in their body that acts like a filter to separate the salt from the water.
- Penguins are quite playful. They like to go tobogganing, this means they will lay on their tummy and slide through the ice and snow. Penguins have also been known to dive off cliffs into the water, get out and dive again for fun.
- No penguins live at the North Pole!
Did you learn anything today? Do you know something we dont? Why not let us know in the comments and keep checking back for more Did You Know blogs!